The aim of The Sustainable Business Series is to increase awareness of and stimulate action on achieving net zero targets. This will contain member and stakeholder knowledge, best practice and guidance.
The Series will begin in September and cover four key topics businesses should consider when adapting to the net zero transition: Energy, Transport, Circular Economy (Waste & Resources) and Sustainable Business Management. It will then finish with a Summit.
The Series will have a variety of content contained in the themed weeks covering:
Join to be part of the business community making progress towards net zero, and capitalise on the business and economic benefits the transition will bring, whilst protecting future generations.
Circular Economy Week
Sustainable Management Week
Learn how to help your business progress to net-zero by understanding best practice, guidance and knowledge on low carbon approaches. See below to hear from sustainability leaders from the Chamber networks across the themed weeks.
What Does Net Zero Mean for SMEs?
SBS21 Blog: Maximising Energy Reductions for High Energy Users – Inspired Energy: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Renewable Technologies Explained – NFU Energy: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Food for Thought: Make Life Sustainable – Northern Gas and Power: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Achieving Net Zero for Building Managers with Minimal Intervention – Grid Edge: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Looking for a New Energy Supplier? Here are some Energy Procurement Tips: Click Here
Podcast: How can businesses effectively manage their energy usage? Click Here
1. Hear from Hussen Farooq (Senior Project Manager, Arup), on Arup’s sustainability and the learnings from the D2N2 hydrogen roadmap project for businesses wanting to improve their sustainability
2. Adelan explain how fuel cells benefit businesses and provide examples of how and where businesses can use them. Find out more here.
3. Utility Team detail the four key steps business can take to start progressing to net zero based on their experience within the energy sector.
4. Hear about the Tyseley Energy Park and Regional Energy Opportunities, business support programmes ATETA and Coventry and Warwickshire Council’s Green Business Programme and how Birmingham Airport have reduced their energy consumption.
SBS21 Blog: Businesses must plan carefully to avoid the impacts of future disruption in the supply of Technology Metals & Critical Materials: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Pack Light and Right’: a Collaborative Approach to more Sustainable Packaging: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Sustainable practise from a Bespoke Tailor: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Better Waste and Resource Management: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Plastic Packaging Tax: How will it be received by businesses and consumers? Click Here
Podcast: What is the Circular Economy and the business benefits? Click Here
1. Maddie Booth (Sustainability Officer at Solihull College and University Centre and Founder at Scrubbee) shares what businesses should consider when developing a more sustainable product.
2. Hear from Matt Redding, Architect at Gensler, on key design principles to consider for a more sustainable building design
3. Understand what the circular economy is, the advantages and how to adopt it as a business model. Learn about the regional support that’s available and how the built environment is embracing the circular economy. Please note the GBS LEP fund is now closed.
SBS21 Blog: Aligning Infrastructure to Net Zero - Sweco: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: Streamlining your logistics emissions Click Here
Podcast: The Future of Transport Decarbonisation in the West Midlands Click Here
1. WSP give a brief overview of the Very Light Rail low-carbon transport project in Coventry, which acts as an innovative best practice example.
2. Sian McAdam (Graduate Civil Engineer) explains what a travel plan is and the steps Mott MacDonald has taken to reduce their travel emissions. This includes encouraging active traveling the race to achieve net zero.
3. In the future, if it’s not realistic to do then please so feel free to say no. I recognise sometimes things will need to be done at short notice. This is part of the reason why I asked if it was realistic to do. If it 100% needs to be done I would say, otherwise I’d ask if its realistic. I hope that makes sense?
SBS21 Blog: Questioning your current practices for environmental progress: Click Here
SBS21 Blog: What is carbon offsetting and how can it be used for your business? Click Here
Podcast: Climate Planning and Strategy (SDGs and Materiality) Click Here
1.Understand how Arup created and developed their net zero/sustainability strategy, learn how to measure your carbon emissions and how to communicate your sustainability progress.
2.Hear from John from the Low Carbon SME programme on his seven simple actions to reduce businesses carbon footprint.
3.SBS21: Carbon Reduction Strategy – Actions to Support Achievement- Morgan Sindall
This Summit will help you understand your businesses role in progressing to net zero, as well as the opportunities and challenges that will come from the net zero transition.
Join this once a year Summit to acquire the know-how for building a more environmentally sustainable and resilient business.
Thank you to our Headline Sponsors: